Friday, August 15, 2014

The Blog

Good Morning! I hope this blog finds you with a few restful moments and some coffee in hand. That's where it is finding me and that is a blessing. Our summer has been a summer of difficult transitions, lots of appointments and responsibilities and LOTS of noise. With the house empty because everyone is at school and the quiet that has ensued....I am not exactly crying. Though I did cry when my youngest informed me on the second day of kindergarten that he could handle walking himself to class.

I mentioned on my other blog that I would be transitioning to a new one. Our adoption journey is over and now we have begun the journey of investing in our new family and the day to day with our precious one. That journey was filled with more faith building moments than I can count and we are humbled and amazed by the God that brought us to our precious girl. If you would like to read about it feel free to follow the previous link, or if you have any questions about adoption, leave a comment and we will connect!

I am sitting here struggling with why I am on the computer doing this right now. Cute pictures of my kids to share with my family is a mostly acceptable form of blogging. An adoption journey, though widely varied and passionate opinions of the subject abound (as they do with every single topic regarding parenting and children), is still a fairly acceptable form of blogging. But what if this blog reads like my prayer journals? What if I am transparent, open and honest, about the things that matter most to me?

If you have ever read the comment section of any blog like that, you will see why I am nervous. The internet can be filled with as much hate as we are hearing about on the news right now. The power of words can destroy. For a verbal and impulsive person I have learned the truth of James the hard way many times.

 "But no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God."

Despite this, I still feel this tug that I should be writing. God steered me a different direction from the journalism career I originally desired. However, I don't think this piece of my life that still writes endlessly in blank page after blank page was an accident. Perhaps God will use it to encourage someone. Perhaps He may motivate another to seek justice for someone without a voice, or be moved to mercy when they have been hurt. Or maybe God will simply use it to change me. Only Eternity will know. I have no intentions of being the next Ann Voskamp or Jen Hatmaker (two wildly different writing styles that both encourage and convict) but I do want to be obedient to what God has asked of me. So insecurities and fears included, here we go.

Speaking of insecurities, I would like to start out this blog as humble and transparent (and moderately silly) as I can be. I've been stewing on this all morning, so I will be presenting to you soon my list of 5 insecurities I have about myself and what God has taught or is still teaching me through them. I hope you can relate to a few. Keep an eye out for them!

For now I leave you with 1 Peter 1:23-25

"For you have been born again, but not to a life that will quickly end. Your new life will last forever because it comes from the eternal, living word of God. As the Scriptures say, 
People are like grass;
their beauty is like a flower in the field.
The grass withers and the flower fades.
But the word of the Lord remains forever.
And that word is the Good News that was preached to you."

This time is so short. Even if all we hope for comes true, and we go peacefully in our favorite chair, old and gray, enjoying the sunshine.....it's still so brief, like a vapor. What makes this time matter? What gives it value? 

May we fix our eyes on eternity and the one who resides over it. May we find value in Who, not what, and live our brief lives accordingly. 

Sincerely,

Carrie


No comments:

Post a Comment